What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your device that allows us to recognize and remember you. It is sent to your browser and stored on your computer’s hard drive or tablet or mobile device. When you visit our site, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
• Understanding how you use our site
• Showing you BoostArmory products and services that are relevant to you
• Working with partners to serve you relevant advertising
We also collect user information on our sites through cookies, tags and pixels. Tags and pixels, also known as web beacons, are similar to cookies but are collected through embedded images.
Using cookies and other technology allows other organizations to help us to analyze how our site is being used, measure the number of visitors to the site, and display advertising.
Cookies that are used by BoostArmory are referred to as “first-party cookies” and those that are used by our partners are “third-party cookies”. Because of how cookies work, our website cannot access third-party cookies; nor can other organizations access the data in the cookies we use on our website. There are more details about both in the following sections.
What types of cookies do we use?
We use four types of cookies, which we describe in this section.
• Essential – cookies that are essential to provide you with the services you have requested. If you set your browser to block these cookies, then these functions and services will not work for you.
• Performance – cookies which measure how often you visit our site and how you use the site. We use this information to get a better sense of how our users engage with our site so that it can be improved for the purposes of enhancing user experience. For example, we collect information about which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users. We also use third-party cookies to help with performance. For example, the Google Analytics cookie gives us information such as your journey between pages and whether you have downloaded anything (details of how to opt out of it are below).
• Functionality – cookies that are used to recognize you and remember your preferences or settings when you return to our site so that we can provide you with a more personalized experience. For example, if you are based in the United Kingdom, we will remember this and make sure that information is relevant to you. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies are used.
• Advertising – cookies that are used to collect information about your visit to our site, the content you have viewed, the links you have followed and information about your browser, device and your IP address. We have set out more details on this below.
Cookies are a key part of how we deliver advertising on our sites. Among other uses, they allow us to show more relevant advertising to people who visit boostarmory.com by showing you adverts that are based on your browsing patterns and the way you have interacted with our site. We can then show you adverts which we believe may interest you.
As you browse our site, some of the cookies and similar technology we place on your device are for advertising, so we can understand what parts of the website you visit and are interested in. We can then display advertising on your browser based on these interests.
The advertising techniques we use do not collect information such as your name, email address, postal address or phone number. We sometimes use information such as your IP address and browser type and sometimes share some limited aspects of this with third parties for advertising purposes.
For example, we place a pixel on our web pages that allows Facebook to place cookies on web browsers. When a BoostArmory customer who uses Facebook returns to Facebook, Facebook can identify them as part of a group of BoostArmory readers and on behalf of BoostArmory they can serve them with marketing messages from us. The data that can be obtained from a visit to BoostArmory is limited to the URL of our site that has been visited and, in some cases, the status of any unfinished or completed commercial transactions undertaken with us, together with the limited information a browser might pass on, such as its IP address. If you are a Facebook user, you can opt out by following the link below.
We may also share online data collected through cookies and similar technology with our advertising partners. This means that when you are on another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on boostarmory.com. We may also show you advertising on boostarmory.com website based on your browsing patterns on other sites that we have obtained from our advertising partners.
For example, if you have visited our website and browsed our products and services, you may start seeing adverts from our site displaying special offers or showing you products you were browsing on another site. This allows companies like ourselves to advertise to you if you leave our website without making a purchase.
How to manage advertising cookies
You can further manage the use of advertising cookies and disable the sharing of data with partners for advertising purposes by clicking here.
This option will reduce the number of advertising partners with whom we share your data, although you will still see some advertising that has been tailored to you as well as advertising intended for Guardian readers in general.
You can switch some cookies off by following these guides. You may need to do this again each time you use a different IP address or device.
It is possible to stop your browser from accepting cookies altogether by changing your browser’s cookie settings. You can usually find these settings in the “options” or “preferences” menu of your browser. The following links may be helpful, or you can use the “Help” option in your browser.
• Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
• Cookie settings in Firefox
• Cookie settings in Chrome
• Cookie settings in Safari web and iOS